Care & Materials
We only use the finest quality of sustainabily sourced recycled gold in our pieces.
18K Gold Vermeil
Gold vermeil (pronounced ver-may) is a thick layer of gold over sterling silver. The Federal Trade Commission sets strict standards for anything to be classified as gold vermeil—the gold must be at least 10K (we use 18K) layered over .925 sterling silver with a minimum thickness of 2.5 microns.
Caring for your piece
Because vermeil’s base metal (sterling silver) contains copper, over time your piece may show spots of discoloration due to the copper content. This isn’t an indication of poor quality—it’s a natural occurrence with the metal. Here's how to take care of your piece:
- Remove your jewelry when applying scents, lotions, sunscreens, and sprays.
- Excessive water accelerates tarnishing, so remember to remove your piece before swimming, showering, or washing your hands!
- Hitting the gym? Remember to safely store your piece before getting your sweat on.
- Store your gold-plated jewelry in its pouch or box to avoid tarnishing and scratches from other pieces.
- The best method to clean your vermeil jewelry is simply by gently rubbing and polishing with the soft cloth included in your order (yay).